A Novena is usually started nine days before a feast, with the feast day falling on the tenth day.
|Novenas||Start date||Feast day|
|➤St. Joseph (shorter)
➤St. Joseph (longer)
➤Divine Mercy (Pandemic)
➤Immaculate Heart of Mary
➤Lady of Sorrows
Divine Mercy Apr 24
|➤Litany of the Precious Blood
➤Litany of the Saints
|➤Litany to the Blessed Virgin Mary
➤Litany to the Holy Name of Jesus
➤Litany to St. Joseph
God our Father, look kindly upon your people at this time of great world need, calm our thoughts and inspire our hearts. Holy Spirit, pour your wisdom upon us and make our hearts one with God the Father. Jesus, you suffered to the point of death for each one of us, giving your life in the hope that we would listen and follow your ways. We accept all that you ask of us, forgive us, our indiscretions and answer our prayers. We pray for the protection of your people from Coronavirus, those caring for sufferers, the suffering and their families. Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, intercede for us, place our humble prayers for those whom we now pray at your adorable Son’s pierced and bloodied feet. Ask Him to look kindly on all afflicted especially those in most need of His Divine help, a task beyond our human abilities. Amen.
For those who have died
St Joseph, accompany the faithfully departed whom God has called from this earth into the arms of your Divine Son. Welcome them into your Holy Family, a place of eternal happiness. Eternal rest grant onto them, O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen
Prayer for the Sick
Dear Jesus, Divine Physician and Healer of the sick, we turn to you at this time and pray your blessings upon the sick of parish and community. O dearest comforter of the troubled, alleviate their worry and sorrow with your gentle love, and grant them the grace and strength to accept their burden at this time. We place our sick under your care and humbly ask that you restore your servants to health according to your Holy Will. Grant them the grace to acknowledge your will and know that whatever you do, you do for the love of them. Amen
Prayer for Healthcare Workers
Heavenly Father, we thank you for the blessing of Healthcare workers and providers who put themselves on the line for us every day. We offer you the doctors, nurses, medical technicians, first responders and all other healthcare professionals whom You have called for the purpose of healing and comforting the sick. We thank You for the skills you have given them, which enable them to bring hope, healing, and wholeness to those in their care. Strengthen them in body and soul and give them tolerance in times of frustration and tiredness. Amen
What are some common Catholic prayers I should know?
- The Nicene Creed
- The Apostles Creed
- The Our Father
- The Hail Mary
- The Glory Be (The Doxology)
- The Hail Holy Queen (The Salve Regina)
- Prayer of St. Michael
- A Common Grace before Meals
The Nicene Creed
- “I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible. I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
- For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.
- I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.”
The Apostles Creed
- “I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.”
The Our Father
- “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.”
The Hail Mary
- “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.”
The Glory Be (The Doxology)
- “Glory be to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.”
The Hail Holy Queen (The Salve Regina)
- “Hail, holy Queen, mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To you we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to you we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, your eyes of mercy toward us; and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.”
Prayer of St. Michael
- “St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.”
A Common Grace before Meals
- “Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen.”