As of Tuesday, July 7th, a face mask is required for all while within the public space of St. Peter Celestine Church.
Please see below for the policy following the instructions issued by the Ottawa Office of Public Health, Eastern Ontario Health Unit, and Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit.
1. Every Operator of an Enclosed Public Space (i.e. St. Peter Celestine Church) shall adopt a policy to ensure that no member of the public is permitted to enter or remain in the public areas of the Enclosed Public Space (i.e. the public, main body of the church) unless he or she is wearing a Mask in a manner that covers their nose, mouth and chin.
2. This does not apply to:
- a) Children under two years of age, or children under the age of five years either chronologically or developmentally who refuse to wear a Mask and cannot be persuaded to do so by their caregiver;
- b) Individuals with medical conditions rendering them unable to safely wear a Mask, including breathing difficulties or cognitive difficulties;
- c) Individuals who are unable to apply or remove a Mask without assistance, including those who are accommodated under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) or who have protections under the Ontario Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c.H.19, as amended;
- d) A person who is employed (Sacristan, Custodian, Clergy) by or is an agent (i.e. volunteer) of St. Peter Celestine Church and is in an area of the premises that is not designated for public access (i.e. the Sacristy)
3. Implementation of the policy should be enacted and enforced in ‘good faith’ and should be primarily used as a means to educate people on Mask use in public spaces.
4. No person shall be required to provide proof of any of the exemptions set out in Section Two (2) above.
5. The policy:
- a) exempts the persons set out in Section 2 from the obligation of wearing a Mask;
- b) will be given to all persons working or volunteering at St. Peter Celestine Church either electronically or physically (or both);
- c) requires that employees and volunteers wear a Mask when working in the public areas of St. Peter Celestine Church (i.e. the main body of church);
- d) requires that employees and volunteers provide a verbal reminder to any person entering the premises without a Mask that the person should be wearing a Mask as a result of the policy;
- e) requires, for persons in St. Peter Celestine Church removing their Mask for extended periods of time, a verbal reminder of the requirement to wear a Mask as a result of the policy;
- f) permits the temporary removal of a Mask where necessary for the purpose of:
- i. consuming the Eucharist in the species of the consecrated host
- ii. for any emergency or medical purpose
6. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is available at all entrances and exits for the use of all persons entering or exiting the church.
7. Upon request, the Parish Office or the Pastor or his delegate shall provide a copy of this policy to a Public Health Inspector or other person authorized to enforce the provisions of the EMPCA.